Friday, July 25, 2008

Love thy Neighbor

I know this is one of the commandments in life that we are supposed to live by, but my neighbor has made this very difficult for me. Our neighbors are quirky but this keeps things interesting. He is a typical type A engineer. He spends all weekend in his yard ensuring that every blade of grass is exactly the same height. Once this is done, he suits up in his eye and ear protection and then straps the jet engine propelled leaf blower to his back to ensure there isn’t a single grass clipping on his sidewalk. And if you are outside doing any type of yard work, you can guarantee that he’ll be out there in 5 minutes to see what’s going on and to start piddling around. He was a huge help when we decided to put down sod in 100 degree heat and to replace all our plumbing—he’s always willing to pitch in just to have something to do.
We’ll they recently sold their house and are in the process of moving. Hate to see them go because they have been really good neighbors and there is no telling what the new neighbors will be like. We get a knock on the door the other day not 10 minutes after the U-Haul pulled away and there stands our neighbor. He forgot something at the house and had to come back and in the process ripped the bumper off my car with the U-Haul truck! I had a fender bender over the Christmas holiday (my fault, I'll admit it) and had to replace the fender, bumper and the light fixture and now he has managed to do $849.36 worth of damage to my beloved car where I just had it fixed a few months ago! At least this time I don’t have to file it under my insurance and pay a deductible.
Now we have to wait and see what the new neighbors will be like! Stay tuned!

No comments: